Saturday, November 19, 2005

...And so begins the journey

Maiden voyage, premiere, kick-off, inaugural, first-run, initiation, grand opening...

Never again may I accurately use these phrases to describe the posts to Vivid Visions' Blog, for you are reading my very first entry to my very first blog. I know I'm late to the party, but in the circle I run with, as opposed to the circles I run in, it's always better to be fashionably late. Early enough to sample the good hors d'oeuvres, but late enough to avoid getting corralled into the hosts' last minute set-up.

So, without further delay, I say WELCOME! Welcome to the Vivid Visions Blog!

I hope to share with you items that interest me, and my philosophies on a life well-lived. I hope to entertain you, inform you and inspire you. Hopefully, you will return the favor. It is my hope that my generating this blog, I will find new friends and associates who share my interests and who help me broaden my horizons. So, please give me feedback!

While I am navigating my way through these uncharted waters, I hope you will be patient and kind as I discover my mistakes and recover from them. But, while my record is still clean, let me tell you about some of the topics you expect to find here.

Photography--about four years ago, when digital photography was emerging as a truly viable medium, I joined the parade (again a little late to the party, but early enough to enjoy the good stuff). I found that my early love of light painting had been reinvigorated with the ability to keep complete creative control over my images in digital photography. Film is still a wonderful medium, but a wet darkroom was just not something I could manage to set-up, so I had to rely on a complete stranger to process my prized images. Plus, in digital, mistakes can be identified on scene, with an opportunity to correct them right on the spot.

I will post many photos on this site--I hope to eventually get to presenting a Photo-A-Day. I will also provide you links to places where you can purchase my images, if you are so inclined.

Pets and Wildlife--It will become quickly evident that I love animals, especially dogs. You will read about the escapades of Boris, Hogan and Spook, the two black labs and little kitty my husband and I care for. I hesitate to say own, not because I am some politically correct animal rights activist, but because they own us, and we are their servants. They eat when they want. Go to the beach for a run when they want, go out when they want, and come in when they want. I wouldn't want it any other way, and if you have a pet, you know what I mean.

I also love wildlife. Wild birds are a fascination and joy to watch, and I have many photos to share of those that visit my backyard feeders as well as those whose images I capture in their own environment. For a few summers we were lucky to have an osprey roost in a dying oak tree in the front yard. The tree is now gone, and so is the roosting spot, but the ospreys return to visit every year, so I hope to share with you stories of our interaction with them. Such majestic, fascinating birds.

But, my love of wildlife does not end with wild birds. So, you may expect to read about the antics of the deer herd living in the woods behind the house, as well the raccoons that raid the bird feeders and drive the dogs crazy. If we're lucky, there will even be a spotting of a red fox or two to share with you.

Gardening--I don't really enjoy gardening, but I love the results, so I consider the hard work I must do my payment for beautiful blooms. I try to practice organic gardening because of the cat--don't want her eating a poisoned critter, and it works pretty well, mostly because I don't do any vegetable gardening. Not enought sunlight in the yard or hours in the day! The real perk here is that I photograph the heck out the flower that do finally bloom, and some of them are quite spectacular--no thanks to me--it is all the Lord's doing. I just keep 'em watered and fertlized.

Music-- I am a great fan of music, especially artists of British Pop and New Wave music, starting with the Beatles, and ranging to Squeeze, Elvis Costello, XTC, Crowded House, and more. My CD collection is quite diverse, including Chris Isaak, Van Halen, Aerosmith, and Billy Joel.

I regularly attend concerts by Glenn Tilbrook, the former lead singer of Squeeze, and Chris Isaak.

I have many interests and passions to share with you, so I hope you will hop on for the ride now and again. I really love feedback on my photography most especially, so please do not hesitate to post a comment or critique. I look forward meeting my new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment